Detailed 8-step instruction + video by example of Killing Floor model below.
To start it needs (besides 3Ds Max and Unreal Editor) ActorX Importer script for 3ds Max and unreal archives unpacker umodel. Download link.
1. Unpack Unreal archive with characters meshes. In Killing Floor It is KF_Soldier_Trip.ukx file in Animations directory. Copy it to folder with umodel.exe then make bat file with next code
umodel –export –all KF_Soldier_Trip.ukx
Save run and it gets required meshes in KF_Soldier_Trip \SkeletalMesh folder.
2. Unpack model textures. Similarly to 1st step. Give KF_Soldier4_Trip_T.utx file from Textures folder then write filename to bat and run. It gets testures in KF_Soldier4_Trip_T \Texture folder.
Now all are ready for importing model in 3Ds Max.
3. Unpack ActorX Importer for 3ds Max. Open 3Ds Max and run ActorXImporter.ms script from unpacked archive.
4. In appesred window click Import PSK and choose your mesh from step 1, e.g. Santa’s DrunkSanta.psk.
5. Put texture. In Material Editor click Maps tab then click None button in front of Diffuse Color.
6. At Map Browser in Scene Materials choose new one then click OK twice.
7. Back to Editor and in Bitmap Parameters load to Bitmap required file from step 2. In this case Santa_D.tga. It makes textured model.
8. This is it. We export mesh skeleton and texture successfully.
Grif’s video tutorial (rus):